SHORT-TERM RENTALS TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please carefully review the following so you are best prepared for your trip and understand the contractual obligations of your reservation. After booking you will be emailed the Rental Agreement for review. You will be required to fill out a Guest & Vehicle Registration and electronically sign this document prior to receiving access to the property.
- Follow the prompts from the menu (Extension x 1 business hours – or – extension x 5 after hours)
- You may need to leave a message but can expect a prompt call back.
If the problem cannot be handled over the phone, a repair ticket will be started that day even if a repair cannot take place immediately. After-hours lock outs caused by lost keys (if applicable) may be subject to a fee.
For other, non-maintenance, non-rental emergencies please contact 9-1-1.
CANCELLATION POLICY, REFUNDS, REBOOKING
You will be provided with the complete cancellation policy prior to booking. In many cases, your stay may be non-refundable within 14 days of arrival depending on the booking site used. If the decision to cancel is made early enough, and you wish to reschedule your trip for a later date, this option and corresponding rules, costs and restrictions will be detailed in the Rental Agreement. Some reservations are non-refundable depending on how far in advance you booked and/or the site you used to book.
The policy regarding cancellation, as disclosed to you before booking is firm and will not be renegotiated for any reason.
We do not offer refunds for cancelations or trip delays outside of the stated cancellation policy or due to the following events:
- Smoke caused by regional fires
- Unhealthy or dangerous air quality caused by regional fires, air pollution, smog or other activity causing for a high Air Quality Index (AQI) in our area or yours
- Heavy snow, windstorms, fires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, looting, etc. in our area or in areas used to travel from your destination or in your area
- COVID-19 or other pandemic related mandates and lock downs
- Fear of travelling (even if due to weather, COVID, family matters, etc.)
- Road closures in your area or ours which may prevent you from arriving at your destination
- Cancelled events (concerts, sporting events, weddings, etc.)
- Closed attractions (State Parks, State or Federal Forests, public beaches, restaurants, theaters, etc.)
- Transportation (airline, bus, train, car, etc.) delays/cancellations
- A change in your personal health, financial outlook or local area conditions that may require you not to travel.
- A change in plans for members in your group that leave your group size diminished or you as the sole traveler
CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION
Why should I buy this insurance?
You don’t have to buy it but, Tahoe NORTH Rentals does offer this coverage which may be useful for your trip. You should ask yourself “Can I really afford to lose my total rental costs should something unexpected happen and I have to cancel?”’ CSA Travel Insurance can protect you from certain unexpected risks with protection for Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Travel Delay. Very often, this may be the only way for you to get a refund for a trip cancellation that takes place outside of the cancellation period where you would be eligible for any refund.
For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Travel Protection at (866) 999-4018.
What is covered?
CSA Insurance provides coverage for prepaid, non-refundable costs of your reservation and additional expenses you may incur for having to interrupt your trip and return home earlier than expected. This plan protects you in the event of unexpected circumstances, such as sickness, injury or death of you or a family member, adverse weather or natural disasters, labor disputes, jury duty and more. For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Insurance at (866) 999-4018.
What if my trip is delayed?
CSA’s Travel Insurance also has trip delay coverage that may pay you for reasonable additional accommodation and traveling expenses due to a delay of your trip of 12 hours or more. For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Insurance at (866) 999-4018.
What will the plan do for me on my trip?
CSA Insurance is there for you should you become sick or injured while traveling. You can even access the 24-hour nurse help line before your trip. CSA provides 24-hour Emergency Assistance to help you with medical referrals, prescription refills, emergency cash transfer and legal referrals. The plan also includes Identity Theft Coverage during your trip and 6 months afterwards. For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Insurance at (866) 999-4018.
To purchase this Optional Coverage to Insure and Protect your valuable trip, please contact our office or review the Rental Agreement.
*Rates and coverage is subject to change. Please contact CSA Insurance for the most up-to-date information.
TOURISM & BUSINESS TAXES
Each of our vacation rental / short-term rental properties are subject to Transient Occupancy taxes and are located in Placer County and El Dorado County (click to see more information on County websites).
Properties in Placer County are also subject to the Tourism Business Improvement Tax (click for more information).
There is no additional sales tax or resort fee assessed on our properties at this time. If your listing says “Resort Fee” it is a substitute for one of the above taxes due to limitations on their website.
Each County maintains an Ordinance overseeing the short term rentals in our area. The County dictates: occupancy limits, quiet hours, parking rules and limits and much more. More information is provided in the Rental Agreement and with the links below.
All guests are expected obey the ordinance applicable to the rental property they choose.
DO NOT EXCEED THE MAXIMUM OCCUPANTS stated on the listing! Each County restricts the number of occupants allowed at vacation rental properties. Your Rental Agreement and the listing will both have property specific details. Exceeding the number during nighttime hours shall be cause for an immediate eviction from the premises AND a monetary penalty will be assessed by the County.
Please note that each County limits the number of “adults” that can stay at the property. The total number of permitted “adults” may actually be less than the maximum occupancy listed as the total maximum occupancy. Per County ordinance, occupancy is defined as two (2) people per bedroom, plus two (2) additional people. “Adult” is defined by the County: Placer County defines adult as 12 and greater. El Dorado defines adult as 15 and greater.
Owners may also set their own occupancy limits that are more restrictive than the county’s, regardless of guest ages.
*No large gatherings or parties are permitted during the stay.
*No business or private events or functions are permitted.
Payment timing will depend on how you decide to book your stay. If you book directly and we are the merchant on records, your credit card or bank account is charged once we have confirmed property availability with our owner. Generally, we do offer a 24-hour courtesy hold for guests prior to final booking and payment.
Each group will be required to electronically sign the Rental Agreement that will be emailed shortly after the booking is created. Keys/check-in instructions will be withheld if this Agreement is not completed and Agent reserves the right to cancel the reservation if it is not signed in a timely manner.
AMENITIES & SUPPLIES
All of our Rental Properties are equipped with the following:
- Basic kitchen utensils and small kitchen appliances (if you require a specific appliance please inquire with Agent as it may vary by property)
- Bedding, blankets, pillows and linens
- Bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths (at least 1 set per guest)
- We will supply enough consumable supplies such as toilet paper, trash bags and paper towels to start your trip but, you may need to stock up on additional supplies if your stay is longer or you have a bigger group
- Dish soap, dish sponge & dishwasher detergent (if home has a dishwasher)
- Laundry detergent (if the home has a washing machine)
- Hair dryer
- Some basic cleaning supplies (Mop, broom, vacuum, dust Pan, cleaning sprays or solution, etc.)
- Personal hygiene products including shampoo, conditioner and body wash by Ginger Lily Botanical Farms (Organic, Vegan and Cruelty Free)
- Hand soap
- Snow shovel(s) and ice melt when needed
- Propane for gas grills (summer only)
– Some personal hygiene products are not supplied (toothpaste, cotton pads, face wash, hair nets, cotton swaps, mouthwash, lotion, toothbrushes, hair brushes, combs, etc.).
– Perishable condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, etc. (due to general bear activity in the area and potential for contamination)
– Firewood for those homes with wood burning fireplaces (must be purchased locally – please do not bring firewood from out of the area).
– Perishable Kitchen Goods: Coffee, sugar, syrup, teas, oils, spices, condiments, etc. are NOT necessarily supplied but, may be available as former guests or the owner may leave supplies when they depart.
– Certain Kitchen Supplies: Coffee filters, foil, tissue paper, plastic wrap, plastic baggies, Tupperware, etc. are NOT necessarily supplied but, may be available as former guests or the owner may leave supplies when they depart.
–Air Conditioning: None of our homes have Air Conditioning (with the exception of one property (“Tahoe Tranquili-Tree“). We do provide several fans for your use.
-Air Purifiers: We do not supply these at any of our homes and recommend you consider bringing your own if you have health or other reasons to need one.
-Baby Equipment: We do not supply any pack-n-plays, cribs, highchairs or baby gates due to OSHA inspection requirements and general liability. If one happens to be in your rental use at your own risk. If your party requires baby equipment of any kind, we are happy to connect you with an equipment rental agency.
We do our best to keep up with the continuing maintenance of each of our properties. Even though the house is inspected prior to your arrival we may miss something or, like your own home, things do occasionally break, wear out or stop working due regular use over time. No refunds are given for maintenance issues. If you cannot easily remedy the problem, please contact the office. Repairs will begin as soon as possible but no more than two business days unless you’d prefer the issue be corrected after your departure. The Owner or Agent for Owner is not responsible for power outages. As a remote area with extreme weather, the area can be impacted by power outages or be subject to planned outages to prevent fires. If the power remains off for more than 12 hours and you wish to leave your stay early, you may seek remedy by filing a claim with the third-party Travel Insurance if purchased. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee any refund.
Some of our Rental properties may have games that guests are welcome to use. We do our best to maintain any items in the property including any bikes, electronic games, pool tables, puzzles, board games, etc. and these amenities are offered FREE to our guests but they are not guaranteed. Please report any issues so that we may attend to a repair or replacement as soon as available.
The house will be inspected for any pre-existing damages and the cleaning condition shortly before arrival.
As you will be liable for any extra cleaning or damages at check out, it is your responsibility as a guest to report to your host immediately upon check-in any pre-existing damages or less than acceptable condition of the property. Report any issues or existing damages by phone or preferably by email with photos on the first day of your stay or as soon as possible.
If damages occur during your stay, please report them immediately. At the time of departure, a second inspection will be performed. If damages or missing items are discovered or additional cleaning is needed, you will be contacted and billed accordingly for the repair.
DAMAGES, SECURITY DEPOSITS AND RENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTION
Depending on what site you use to book your stay with us, you may be asked about purchasing Rental Damage Protection or placing a refundable Security Deposit down to rent the property.
What is the CSA Vacation Rental Damage Protection Plan?
This Protection Plan is offered in place of a traditional security deposit. This plan eliminates the hassle of having to wait 21 days to get your deposit refunded following your visit and streamlines the damage recovery process. For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Insurance at (866) 999-4018.
What is covered by the Vacation Rental Damage Protection Plan?
The Vacation Rental Damage Protection Plan covers unintended and reported damages at the property during your stay. For instance, if you break a coffee pot or spill a drink on the carpet, these damages are typically covered! Just report the damages to an agent when the damage occurs, as you depart or right after your stay and we’ll send you a claim form. We’ll bill your card on file and you can submit a request for reimbursement to CSA Generali for reimbursement. This insurance does not cover willful damage, theft or additional cleaning. Agent may charge your credit card on file for the damages as we await a reimbursement payment for the claim. For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Insurance at (866) 999-4018.
Is the fee for this Protection Plan refundable?
No, this is a fee and not a deposit. For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Travel Protection at (866) 999-4018.
When do I need to pay for the Protection Plan?
The fee is paid when payment is taken at the time of confirmation and booking along with the rent and other fees. For more information on this coverage, please contact CSA Travel Protection at (866) 999-4018.
What if the CSA Vacation Rental Damage Protection does not cover something?
If a claim submitted is not covered by the CSA Insurance, you will be required to pay for the additional cost and will not be reimbursed.
Is a Security Deposit required?
A security deposit IS NOT REQUIRED when you purchase the CSA Damage Plan or when you book your trip on certain third party sites. If you book directly with us on our website or perhaps over the phone, you will be offered the option of purchasing the CSA Damage Protection Plan for a small fee or of paying a traditional deposit. This Protection Plan covers you for up to $3,000 in unintended and reported damages at the property.
If you choose not to purchase the CSA Damage Protection Plan, a deposit of $3,000 would be required. That money would be due prior to check-in and would only be payable by certified funds (cashier’s check, money order or wire transfer). The deposit disposition and any refund will be mailed out by check in the time afforded by local law after you depart.
Guests will be billed via their card on file for excessive damages, theft, extra cleaning, hot tub abuse, pet damage, etc.
*Rates and coverage is subject to change. Please contact CSA Insurance for the most up-to-date information.
If the property booked becomes unavailable for any unforeseen reason, Tahoe NORTH Rentals reserves the right to substitute a comparable property. If no other suitable property is available guest will be offered a full credit towards a future stay.
Some amenities listed and advertised may only be available seasonally or in the right weather conditions. Snow may cover decks, grills and patio furniture and these items shall likely be placed in storage in the fall, spring and winter months. Gas fireplaces may be turned off in the warmer summer months. Some hot tubs may not be accessible in the winter.
Please be considerate of your electricity, trash creation, water and heat usage. Turn off lights, shut blinds, lock windows and doors at when you are away from the house. Thermostat should be set to 55 degrees during the winter (or as otherwise posted) when home is vacant. Always put trash in dumpster or bear box.
Please do not leave trash outside as there are wild animals in the area. Secure your trash bags in your property’s BEAR BOX or the community dumpster. A bear box is a locked enclosure, usually metal with brown or green paint that is located near the end of the driveway, which restricts access by wildlife. Please use the attached key (Allen wrench) or pull hidden handle to open and make sure the doors are completely shut and remove key after each use. You may add trash anytime but be sure to fill the bear box the night before your rental’s trash pick-up day to ensure it is picked up early the next morning.
As a guest to the area, it is your responsibility as a renter to perform your due diligence to research the neighborhood and area conditions and how to handle incidents that could potentially occur during your trip. Tahoe NORTH Rentals will be a great resource for questions you may have about the Lake Tahoe area. All staff members are longtime residents and would be happy to talk to you about any conditions that may arise during your trip. Although we may not anticipate all situations, here are a few examples of things you may consider:
- Wildlife (insects, cayotes, mountain lions, bears, racoons, wasps/bees, chipmunks, rodents, etc.) at the house, in the woods or anywhere else wild animals might be found
- Electric Bear Deterrent systems are present at some properties. See listing details. If present, guests will be given instructions for use along with the check-in instructions.
- Weather related conditions (snow, dry climate, variance of nighttime temps vs. daytime temps, ice, falling snow from roof eves, etc.)
- Smoke and Wildfires are a common occurrence in northern California. Fire season is getting longer each year. Not only can these weather-related events bring harsh smoke to our region, but there is also necessity for you to be educated and prepared to evacuate if a fire threatens our area during your stay.
- Construction on the roads, byways and highways that may affect your access to and from the property.
- General area conditions (life at high altitude, traffic, icy walkways, lack of A/C, congestion, transportation etc.).
- Security cameras may be present at the exterior of the property only. This will be noted in the listing and all guests will be given specific information in the Rental Agreement.
Smoking of any kind is strictly prohibited at all of our rental properties. This includes outside areas (driveway, patios, garages, yards & decks). If you find cigarette butts around the property when you check-in, notify us immediately.
If it is discovered that any guest has smoked at the property, there will be additional charges assessed. The minimum fine is $1,000.00.
Person contracting this Agreement is responsible for ALL guest actions while on property. Homeowner is NOT responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that may occur while guests are on the Premises including in the available facilities or recreational equipment used on or off property.
Homeowner is not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables belonging to guests. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the Premises or others whom they invite to use the Premises. Report any hazardous or dangerous conditions to management immediately.
No illegal activity shall take place on or around the Premises. Amongst others, this includes underage drinking, vandalism, downloading illegal content, using banned substances etc. If illegal activity is discovered, you may be immediately asked to vacate the property and no refund shall be given.
As a transient occupancy unit, the Owner and Owner’s Representative and Agents have the right to enter the Premises, upon reasonable notice, to verify Occupant has complied with the terms of this Agreement, jointly and individually with every other occupant or to perform necessary maintenance at the property.
Check-in time is 4:00 PM. You will be checking in directly at your rental property using the code provided via the Hospitality App and/or emailed. Codes will NOT WORK until 4:00 PM so please plan accordingly and do not arrive early. Your code will stop working at 10:00 AM which is check-out time. If you have a request for early arrival or late check out, please contact our office 24-48 hours ahead.
Occupant agrees that there shall be no holding over or late departure without prior approval. Check out time is 10 AM. This will be strictly enforced. Late check outs must be approved and may require additional rent. Any unauthorized holding over by occupant shall be subject to a charge 150% times the daily prorated rent plus taxes.
House cleaning is a required service on all rentals and is included in the total booking cost of your reservation. Cleaning is a baseline, estimated cost. If extra cleaning is required guests will be responsible for any extra charges. Cleaning service is only offered upon your departure, so please plan accordingly. Cleaning does not include excess trash removal that must be hauled off-site, a unscheduled dump & scrub of the hot tub or cleaning up anything from the decks or yard. Cleaning fee subject to County Transient Occupancy Tax.
- Wash all dishes and cookware (or load up the dishwasher)
- Strip down all used beds
- Pile used towels in each bathtub
- Take out all the trash including remaining food from the fridge. Pack it out or put in bear box or community dumpster. Do not leave in garage.
- Turn off all lights inside and outside
- Shut all windows
- Clothes all blinds/window coverings
- Lock all the entries, doors, patio sliders, etc.
If you are issued keys or garage remotes (either in the lock box or those at the house), any lost or unreturned keys and/or remotes will be replaced at the expense of the guest.
If you happen to forget any personal items at a property when you depart, please notify our office as quickly as possible and we will do our best to retrieve the item(s) for you however; Agent and Owner cannot be responsible for lost or stolen items.
Upon retrieving the item, we will be happy to return the item to you by regular postal service for a fee of $40 (small/regular size packages) or $60 (large/over-sized packages). You will be asked for payment of these services in advance of return of the item.